Correlational Study between Grammatical Competence, Students’ Interest in Writing, and Writing Skill

Darna Oktaviani, Martono Martono, Gunarso Susilohadi


Abstract: This research aims to know the correlation between (1) grammatical competence and writing skill, (2) students’ writing interest and writing skill, and (3) grammatical competence, students’ writing interest and writing skill. This
research was conducted at MTs Negeri 2 Surakarta in the academic year of 2016/2017. The sample is class 8H which consists of 32 students taken by using cluster random sampling. The research instruments used to collect the data are test and questionnaire. The data were analyzed by using single and multiple correlations and multiple linear regressions. The result of the research show that (1) there is a positive correlation between grammatical competence and writing
skill; (2) there is a positive correlation between students’ writing interest and writing skill; (3) there is a positive correlation between students’ grammatical competence and, writing interest and writing skill. The students’ grammatical competence gives 24.68% contribution to writing skill and the students’ writing interest gives 19.32% contribution to writing skill. The total effective contribution of grammatical competence and students’ writing interest to writing skill is 44%.It can be concluded that the increase of students’ grammatical competence and students’ writing interest simultaneously will be followed by the increase of students’ writing skill.

Key words: grammatical competence, writing interest, writing skill

Full Text:



Brown, H. D. (2000).Teaching by Principle: An Interactive Approach to Language Pedagogy (second edition). New York: Longman

Brown, H. D. (2004). Language Assessment: Principle and Classroom

Practices. New York: Longman

Byrne, Donn. (1997). Teaching Writing Skills. New York: Longman

Cuellar, Marco Tulio Artunduaga. (2013).

Process Writing and the Development of Grammatical Competence. HOW 20, October 2013, ISSN 0120-5927. Bogota, Colombia: pages 11-35

Graham, S., & Perin, D. (2007). Writing next: Effective strategies to improve writing of adolescents in middle and high schools – A report to Carnegie Corporation of New York. Washington, DC: Alliance

for Excellent Education

Halonen, Jane S and Santrock, John W. (1999). Psychology: contexts & applications.(3ed ed).USA: The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.

Harackiewicz, Judith M and Hulleman, Chris S. (2009). The Importance of Interest: The Role of Achievement Goals and Task Values in Promoting the Development of Interest. Journal Compilation. Social and Personality Psychology Compass 4/1 (2010): 42-52. Blackwell Publishing Ltd

Hurlock, Elizabeth D. 1981. Child Development. Tokyo: Mc Graw


Li, Xiping. (2013). The Application of “Three Dimensional” Model in the Teaching Design of EFL Writing. English Language Teaching; Vol. 6, No. 2 ISSN 1916-4742 E-ISSN 1916-4750

Manser, Martin H. 2006. The Facts on File: Guide to Good Writing. New York: Fact on File, Inc.

Nunan, David. (1989). Designing Task for the Communicative Classroom. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press

Raimes, Ann. (1938). Technique in Teaching Writing. New York:

Oxford University Press

Richards, Jack C. and Schmidt, Richard.2010. Longman Dictionary of Teaching and Applied Linguistics (fourth edition). Great Britain: Pearson Education Limited

Slameto. 2010. Belajar dan Faktor-Faktor yang Mempengaruhi.

Jakarta: Rineka Cipta

Subramaniam, P.R.. (2009). Motivational Effects of Interest on Student Engagement and Learning in Physical Education: A Review. Source: Int J Phys Educ 46 no 2 ogy/kevinpugh/motivation_project/ resources/subramaniam.pdf

Widodo, Handoyo Puji. (2006). Approaches and Procedures for Teaching Grammar in journal English Teaching: Practice and Critique, Volume 5, Number 1, May 2006,



  • There are currently no refbacks.